Did you know that a rug pad will help your area rug last longer? Rug pads are designed to protect the flooring underneath your rug and to prevent you from slipping, but they also absorb some of the pressure that is placed on your rug's fibers when you walk. A pad prevents those fibers from matting and losing their luster quickly, keeping your rug looking like new for longer. Learn more about the benefits of Mohawk Home area rug pads below.
Rug Pad Basics
- Reduce wear and tear on the rug
- Absorb noise
- Make vacuuming easier
- Protect the flooring underneath the rug
- Soften your rug with another layer of cushion between your feet and hard floors
A rug pad should be one inch smaller than your area rug on all four sides. This will allow the edges of the rug to taper to the floor, preventing a trip hazard and curling along the edges of the rug. If your area rug is 8’ x 10’, then your rug pad should be trimmed to be 7’10” x 9’10”. Mohawk Home rug pads can easily be trimmed to size using household scissors.
- For rugs placed over carpet, choose a pad of with thick polyester fabric coated adhesive. This type of pad prevents a darker color rugs from bleeding through on to lighter colored carpets.
- For a rug placed on a hard flooring surface such hardwood, tile or laminate, choose a rug pad that has non-slip coating on at least one side. This side should be placed down on the hard flooring to ensure that the rug stays in place.