Determining the proper size for a rug is just as important as finding the right color and pattern. The size and shape of your rug can help determine and define furniture groupings as well as areas of use, such as conversation areas. Multiple rugs can link one room to another. Furniture can be centered on the rugs or positioned off the rug, depending on the size of the room and ambiance you want to create.
What Size is Your Room?
For medium sized rooms, area rugs are typically 5' x 8'. This size is great for smaller bedrooms, home offices and in living rooms. When placing a rug under your coffee table, consider these points.Under the Coffee Table
- Depending upon the size of your coffee table and accompanying furniture, choose a rug that accommodates all 4 legs of the table.
- Area rugs should approximate the same length and width of the furniture within the space.
- You can either leave some space between the furniture and area rug or place the front legs of the furniture on the rug. Use furniture coasters under the back legs to adjust for height.
Large rooms typically require an 8' x 10' or larger area rug. This size is ideal for living rooms, great rooms, dining rooms, and master bedrooms. You can arrange the room in a traditional fashion or place your rug and furniture at an angle.Dining Rooms
Living Rooms / Great Rooms
- An 8’ wide rug can accommodate most dining tables, but add at least 4’ to the length and width of your table measurements to be sure.
- Rugs should extend beyond the chairs in the pulled out posit
- Balance the area you are trying to define by leaving an equal amount of rug around the furniture grouping.
- An equal amount of exposed flooring around your rug can also give balance to your room.
- In bedrooms, one large rug is luxurious, but the bed will cover most of it. Smaller equal-sized rugs used around the bed are another option. The soft comfort of a rug is most appreciated when stepping in and out of bed.